Man Gets Two Decades in Prison for Robbing San Mateo Barbershop

Prosecutors say Dedrick Sevier entered the barbershop, brandished a handgun and shouted this was "a rip."

A 23-year-old man who pleaded no contest to  has been sentenced to more than 20 years in prison.

Dedrick Montre Sevier on Monday pleaded no contest to four counts of robbery, with the additional allegation he was armed, and admitted having a prior strike, in connection with the Dec. 17, 2010 incident at the San Mateo Zoo barbershop. 

He was sentenced to 22 years and four months in prison with credit for 671 days served, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office.

Sevier faced a life sentence if convicted in a jury trial.

His accomplices, 21-year-old Bryan Deonte Carter and 19-year-old Bernard Sims, pleaded no contest to robbery charges on Jan. 18 on the condition they would be sentenced to a maximum of five years in prison.

On June 1, Sims was sentenced to a year in county jail with credit for 162 days served, and was placed on probation for four years. Carter on June 22 received a five-year prison sentence with credit for 637 days served.

Prosecutors say Carter entered the barbershop on Dec. 17, 2010, and sat down as if awaiting a haircut. At the time, there were six or seven customers inside the shop.

Carter then used his phone to send text messages for about five minutes, before Sevier and Sims, who was a juvenile at the time, came into the shop.

Sevier, according to prosecutors, brandished a Ruger 9MM handgun and shouted that this was "a rip."

He allegedly ordered everyone to get on the ground and to empty their pockets. He said he would kill anyone who tried to hide anything, prosecutors said.

The victims, including the barbers, complied, and turned over their wallets, cash and jewelry.

After collecting the property, the suspects left in a gold-colored car. One of the barbers ran to his own car and followed the suspects.

Simultaneously, the police were called, and managed to catch up to the suspects as they traveled south on U.S. Highway 101.

The suspects turned off at the Ralston Avenue exit in Belmont, and tried to run, prosecutors said.

The gun was tossed onto the freeway, but the suspects were caught, including a woman who had been driving the car, prosecutors said.

Sevier must also pay a $240 restitution fine, while a restitution hearing for Sims and Carter has been set for Sept. 7.

Mike BearCat July 26, 2012 at 04:26 PM
Unbelievable!!! I can't believe the the length some ones goes to get some money-- if they'd put that much energy towards something positive what a wonderful world this would be...


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something