Two weeks into the high school football season, here is a look at how San Mateo County teams stack up. The top-15 weekly rankings are drawn from all schools in the county.
1. Serra 2-0 (Last week: 1) Sturdy ‘D’ overlooked amidst offensive fireworks, but it bodes well for rigors of WCAL.
2. Terra Nova 1-1 (2) Disruptive DL Hillen compiled four sacks, a safety and 13 tackles against SHC and Wilcox.
3. Sacred Heart 2-0 (3) Larson’s passing ability adds dimension to Gator attack that will be critical in big games.
4. Menlo-Atherton 1-1 (4) Improvement = much closer Los Gatos game; M-A secondary will be busy against SI.
5. Jefferson 0-2 (6) Suspensions lead to forfeit of Pittsburg game; Jeff still an unknown commodity heading into SHC matchup.
6. Menlo 2-0 (7) Ironically, ‘D’ is calling card in tight wins over Santa Cruz & Mission. How long will Knights rotate QBs?
7. Aragon 1-0 (9) Vintage Dons, at least for one game; 50-22 win at San Mateo was highest scoring output since late ’07.
8. Sequoia 1-0 (8) Program’s depth and resilience will be tested after losing multi-threat QB Beekley to knee injury.
9. Woodside 2-0 (11) Most improved team in county? Light upcoming slate suggests ‘Cats could be 5-0 entering Sequoia game.
10. Burlingame 1-1 (5) Heavy roster turnover leaves team tough to peg; remaining non-league games critical for development.
11. South San Francisco 2-0 (10) Encouraging sign in 25-0 rout of Cap: Los’ three-TD passing performance.
12. Half Moon Bay 0-2 (12) Walters’ team-record rushing output a bright spot, but HMB 0-2 for first time since ’07.
13. El Camino 1-1 (13) Impressive big-play capability: three of Peluso’s four TDs have been for 30-plus yards.
14. Carlmont 0-2 (14) Don’t read too much into Willow Glen shutout; Aragon & Woodside games will be more telling.
15. San Mateo 0-1 (NR) Bumps Hillsdale off board despite big loss to Aragon. Can Bearcats rebound vs. Woodside?
Previous rankings: , .