Who’s hot? And who’s not?
This week’s San Mateo County high school baseball rankings find Carlmont on the upswing and Hillsdale sliding. Sacred Heart Prep enters the fray after a big win over its rival. And Menlo-Atherton is surging after its bats caught fire.
Patch’s top-10 weekly rankings are drawn from all schools in San Mateo County.
Records are based on reported games played through Monday, April 18.
1. Serra 12-8 (Last week: 1) Tough-luck Padres hoping week away from WCAL turns tide; soph LHP Razo has impressed.
2. Menlo School 13-2 (2) Seemed likely to drop after surprising loss to SHP, but closest challengers also stumbled.
3. Carlmont 11-6 (6) Pair of clutch wins over Hillsdale powers Scots into break with PAL Bay-leading 7-3 record.
4. Burlingame 9-6 (4) Pitching (3.36 ERA) makes Panthers dangerous but lack of hitting (.218 average) is troublesome.
5. Hillsdale 11-5 (3) Stout pitching has tapered off lately; Parker (.375 average, 19 RBIs) has a 7-game RBI streak.
6. El Camino 10-7-1 (5) Knudson (.522 average & 3.50 ERA) thriving in Bay after winning Ocean POY honors in ‘10.
7. Half Moon Bay 15-5 (7) Correa’s star turn (3 hits, 3 RBIs) leads to second win over Cap, comfortable lead in PAL Ocean.
8. Menlo-Atherton 10-6 (9) Bats have picked up as pitching has cooled; streaking Bears have won 5 of 6.
9. Terra Nova 9-6-1 (8) Pitchers have little wiggle room – Tigers (2-3 Bay) have scored more than 3 runs once in league.
10. Sacred Heart Prep 10-9 (NR) Junior RHP Larson keys stunner over Menlo; Gators putting 1-6 start in rear-view mirror.
DROPPED OUT: Capuchino 8-9-1 (10)