NASA has given some very general information about the flight route for that once-in-a-lifetime look at Space Shuttle Endeavor Friday morning. It left Ellington Field Thursday enroute to the Edwards Air Force Base.
This morning, it will begin its final farewell tour.
From San Francisco, the shuttle will fly over the Golden Gate Bridge and the Bay Bridge, then head down the Peninsula, roughly following U.S. Highway 101, about 8:30 a.m. to 8:45. It's scheduled to go over NASA/Ames in Mountain View at about 9 a.m.
Try the following locations, where an instituion is named, NASA has indicated the flyover includes it:
East Bay Hills
- Chabot Space and Science Center (Oakland) will have early hours (8 a.m. opening) 10000 Skyline Boulevard
- Lawrence Hall of Science, (Berkeley)
- Along Skyline Boulevard
- Discovery Museum (Sausalito)
- Crissy Field
- Embarcadero near the Bay Bridge
- Candlestick Point
Peninsula (8:30 - 9:30 a.m. window)
- San Franciso International Airport
- Palo Alto Baylands Park
- Shoreline Park
- Moffett Field (walk-in only, VTA Bus #51 and light rail) - 9 a.m.
- Public points close Mountain View's shoreline (See Mountain View Patch's best bets for Space Shuttle Endeavour vantage spots along the shoreline, such as Stevens Creek Trail, parking garages and the like, plus traffic tips)
(Entry at the main gate for NASA Ames and the Shuttle Flyover Event require government-issued picture identification for those 18 or over)
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
This is an update from NASA-Dryden Flight Research Center issued Wednesday:
During the final ferry flight segment Friday, the SCA-Endeavour is scheduled to lift off from the main runway at Edwards Air Force Base at about 7:15 a.m. It will begin a low-level flyover of several nearby communities about 10 to 15 minutes later, including Palmdale, where Endeavour and the other space shuttles underwent final assembly, Lancaster, Rosamond and Mojave before heading north for a swing around the Sacramento and San Francisco Bay Area.
Any time after 8:30 a.m. on Friday, the SCA-Endeavour will make several low-level flyovers in the Sacramento and San Francisco areas, including the State Capitol in Sacramento, some of the San Francisco area museums including the Bay Area Discovery Museum, Chabot Space and Science Center, Exploratorium, Lawrence Hall of Science and the Monterey Bay Aquarium near Santa Cruz and Monterey.
- For up-to-date announcements on the flight day, view NASA Ames' Twitter feed on NASA/Ames home page, or at the@NASAAmes Twitter page.
- Social media users are encouraged to share their Endeavour sightings using the hashtags #spottheshuttle and#OV105, Endeavour’s orbiter vehicle designation.
IF YOU HAPPEN TO CATCH A COOL PHOTO OF THE SHUTTLE FLYING OVERHEAD, PLEASE SHARE WITH PATCH! UPLOAD TO THIS ARTICLE. SHARE YOUR SIGHTINGS IN THE COMMENTS TOO!
Follow Patch! And don't forget to sign up for our daily e-newsletter and breaking news alerts, delivered straight to your inbox.
Sign up for the San Mateo Patch daily newsletter | Follow San Mateo Patch on Twitter | Like San Mateo Patch on Facebook | Blog for San Mateo Patch
Sign up for Foster City Patch's daily newsletter | Like Foster City Patch on Facebook | Blog for Foster City Patch | Follow Foster City Patch on Twitter