The San Mateo and Foster City fire departments could soon add another Peninsula city to its roster following a council vote Tuesday night.
The Belmont City Council is scheduled to vote whether to contract with San Mateo and Foster City's fire departments, a move that could save the district nearly $500,000 annually, according to an article in the San Mateo Daily Journal.
If approved, the three cities will share a fire chief and other administrative positions.
Michael Keefe, Deputy Fire Chief of the San Mateo-Foster City Fire Department, was named the fire chief of the two cities in June and assumed the position July 1.
Belmont split with San Carlos in October 2011 for shared fire services when the two cities voted to dissolve the Belmont-San Carlos Fire Department following a disagreement over how the department was funded.
The Cities of San Mateo and Foster City embarked on an endeavor to share fire services in 2010 as a way of delivering important public safety services at a reduced cost.
Get the latest news from San Mateo:
- Sign up for the San Mateo Patch daily newsletter
- Blog for San Mateo Patch
- "Like" San Mateo Patch on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @SanMateoPatch
Get the latest news from Foster City:
- Sign up for the Foster City Patch daily newsletter
- Blog for Foster City Patch
- "Like" Foster City Patch on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @FosterCityPatch