.

Man Pleads No Contest to San Mateo Wells Fargo Robbery

By Bay City News Service: 

A 53-year-old man who wore a wig as he robbed a Wells Fargo bank in San Mateo last year pleaded no contest Friday after doctors determined he was competent to stand trial, according to the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office.

 Gerard Joseph Myer, a transient, will spend up to two years in prison for the Oct. 1 crime after entering the no contest plea to felony robbery, District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.

 Myer's defense attorney had expressed doubt to his client's competency, but two doctors determined Myer was mentally fit to stand trial and a judge reinstated criminal proceedings in December.

 Myer, wearing a wig, hat and sunglasses, entered the Wells Fargo bank at 100 E. Fourth Ave. at about 12:05 p.m. on Oct. 1, handed a teller a note and ordered her to follow his instructions, prosecutors said.

 He told her to fill his bag with money and the teller saw that Myer had what appeared to be a bomb detonator in his hand.

 The teller put $7,721 in the bag and Myer then walked out of the bank, according to the district attorney's office. An employee of a nearby business had seen Myer adjusting his wig and hat in reflective glass just before the robbery, and, thinking it looked strange, took Myer's picture.

 Police circulated Myer's photo after the robbery and a week later, Myer called police when his girlfriend began having a seizure.

 Responding officers recognized Myer and arrested him. A search warrant was obtained for his motel room, where police found the wig, hat and a distinctive T-shirt worn by the bank robber, according to Wagstaffe.

 A phony detonator and $868 in cash were also discovered in the search of the motel room, prosecutors said.

 Myer pleaded no contest at his pretrial conference on Friday in exchange for a maximum sentence of two years in prison.

 The sentencing is scheduled for March 27. Myer remains in custody in lieu of $50,000 bail.

Copyright © 2014 by Bay City News, Inc. -- Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.
Doug Abbott February 26, 2014 at 08:43 AM
Um, San Mateo Patch? Are you ever going to write about the Luke Lonergan case?
Moon Son February 26, 2014 at 03:52 PM
The Palo Alto Daily Post did a story last week about another San Mateo County resident named Luke Lonergan, who was also caught with child pornography in a sweep earlier this year. Lonergan is far more prominent than Wolf. Lonergan, cofounder of a tech company in San Mateo called Greenplum, has been profiled in the Wall Street Journal and interviewed by Forbes. He also had a hotshot lawyer from Beverly Hills who represented one of the players in the O J Simpson Las Vegas gun case. Oddly, as the Palo Alto Daily Post reported, the prominent Lonergan's case was never included in the San Mateo DA's cases of interest case. Lonergan served two months in the McGuire jail from September 7 to November 7 but didn't have to register as a sex offender. Rich white guy privilege? Kudos to the Daily Post for their reporting on Lonergan and on the violent assault case by San Mateo Deputy Sheriff Smith- which was kept secret by the police and also not on the DA's cases of interest list. The're on to something.5

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something