Two men were arrested in San Mateo on Tuesday night after an alert neighbor allegedly spotted them trying to open various car doors in the carport area of an apartment building, police said Wednesday.
Isaac Mullan, 37, and Marcus Strickland, 18, both transients, were arrested around 10:30 p.m. when the resident called police after spotting the men "acting suspiciously" in the 3600 block of Colegrove Avenue, San Mateo Police Sgt. Dave Norris said.
Responding police officers allegedly saw the suspects trying to open car doors as well, and the men were quickly arrested on suspicion of burglary and vehicle tampering, according to Norris. Both men were booked into San Mateo County Jail.
The San Mateo Police Department have noticed recent rash of thefts from vehicles, and urge residents to lock their car doors as many thieves prey on vehicles left unlocked.
Safety tips from the San Mateo Police Department:
- Be sure to LOCK all doors and windows of your vehicles.
- Remove any valuables from your vehicle.
- If you have to keep valuables in your vehicle, lock them in the trunk.
- Mark your valuables with your Drivers License number or other identifying markings.
- Park your vehicles in well lighted areas.
Contact the San Mateo Police Department:
- SMPD Investigations Bureau: 650-522-7650
- SMPD Secret Witness hotline: 650-522-7676
- Anonymous Text to SMPD: 650-262-3473
- Anonymous E-Mail to SMPD: Sanmateo@tipnow.org