Today is a new day! If you deviate from your normal diet from time to time, you are not alone, but will you get back on track today, tomorrow and the rest of the year?
One of the keys to long term fat loss success is being able to continue the lifestyle strategies that enable you to lose fat for a lifetime. Did you know that over 90% of weight loss programs fail to give their clients long term success? Here are 5 reasons why most weight loss programs fail:
1. Many are not grounded in common sense. The fat free diet of the 80′s may be the worst of them all given it was adopted by billions of people. Fat was feared by the public and the food manufacturers took full advantage. As the population decreased fat consumption, diabetes and obesity rates rose significantly. Generally speaking, we do not get fat by eating fat. Not all fats are created equal, just like proteins and carbohydrates. Good fats, like avocados, nuts and seeds, olive oil, coconut oil, flax oil and animal fats from animals raised in their optimal environments are great. Too many carbohydrates are generally the problem leading to many disease states.
2. Many weight loss programs sell you specialized, highly processed foods that are toxic. If a food has a label, be weary. Look carefully at the ingredients because unless it is organic, it is most likely loaded with genetically modified ingredients and additives that will stress your body in time (even if you are losing weight in the short term).
3. Most weight loss programs are based upon low calorie consumption. The caloric intakes are too low to continue forever. The weight loss is great, but much of the weight is lost as muscle and water (not fat). Have you ever wondered why most weight loss programs do not measure fat loss? Weight loss is easy- don’t eat and do a lot of cardio to breakdown your muscle mass. Unfortunately, the weight loss will not last and you will get sick due to malnutrition and stress.
4. We can’t put all the blame on programs. Many people out there only view weight loss as a short term solution, something they can follow for a set period of time to get the desired results and then just stop.
5. Lastly, unfortunately many people never really get it. They have tried multiple programs without success, but much frustration. Programs always told them what to do, and they did not learn the basics of nutrition or to be aware of how foods made them feel. Every day I am surprised to learn that my clients did not learn what the three macronutrients are: Carbohydrates, Proteins & Fats. This is the most basic principle of nutrition. Without a knowledge of the nutrition basics- the most fundamental aspect of existence, it is impossible to be successful.
Regardless of your fat loss model, If You Deviate, Get Back On The Plan The Next Meal. Simply acknowledge that you overate or deviated and move on. If you had a fun, cheat night, it is imperative that you start your morning with a diet higher in protein and less carbohydrates. This will help to balance your hormones and your biochemistry for successful long term fat and weight loss.
Brien Shamp brings you 22 years of experience as a Body Transformation Expert, Personal Trainer, Nutrition & Lifestyle Coach, Massage Therapist, Strength Coach for College & Pro Athletes and Reiki Practitioner. In 2011 he was nominated one of the top ten trainers in the country. Brien has a degree in Biomechanics from UC Davis and extensive graduate studies in Exercise Physiology from SF State. Brien won first place in the Met-Rx World’s Best Personal Trainer Contest in 1999 and was nominated Best in the Bay by KRON 4 for Weight Loss in 2009. He is an active author in Parenting on the Peninsula, Ms. Fitness Magazine and his FREE Blog with thousands of subscribers at www.BrienShamp.com